Monday, January 25, 2010

"Understanding Composing" by Sondra Perl


The main purpose of this essay was to research the composing process and analyze its patterns and recursive nature.  An obvious pattern is that writers often return briefly to what he or she has already written.  Many writers also utilize keywords repeatedly that are pertinent to the topic being discussed.  The third and last tendency is subtler and is often referred to as “felt sense”.  It is considered a feeling that writers strive for, a brief sense during the process of putting words down that really emit what the author is trying to convey.  It can sometimes be defined textually as a single word of phrase that truly embodies what the author wants to stay.  Thus, in the creative process, a skilled writer can hone in on the ability to access this “feeling” of saying something he or she has never said before.  The two basic structural tendencies authors use are retrospective and projective.  Retrospective relies on recursive behavior by using what has already been written down, while projective relies on what audiences would approve of reading.  Usually both of these occur in the composing process and prove that it is definitely not a strict linear scheme.

Perl’s article directly analyzing the actual process of composition is extremely insightful.  Felt sense is incredibly common yet not actively recognized enough by many readers, I feel.  The “skill” to tap into it more often during writing is perhaps the most valuable tool for any creative endeavor.  Personally, I have realized this before and am constantly searching for methods to allow myself easier access to it through external senses, even though it is ultimately an organic feeling that cannot be guaranteed.  Being aware of this element of composition is essential.



3 comments:

  1. I think that the tendency of "felt sense" is wonderful. I enjoy being submerged into the text with just one sentence.I agree that the ability to use this tendency is a very valuable tool for any creative project. It gives readers a refreshing feeling when notice and appreciate it. It is something that all aspiring writers should be aware of learn how to apply it to their writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prior to reading the article I had not known what that feeling of the "felt sense" was referred to as. Being that EWM is a new major for me, I have not had to experience this "felt sense" too often. Over the course of this past and current semester I have had to face this "felt sense" through my writing process. I have also had to battle with the endless amount of ways that I can edit and then re-edit my papers. This skill of "felt sense" is something I too will try to tap into more often when composing various pieces in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think "felt sense" has always been with me, I just have a hard time of putting it down on paper. I am a speaker, not a writer. Then again, many would say there is no difference. Just record myself, write it, and voila! I'm a writer. It is all thought based. I am more comfortable i na setting where there is a back-and-forth discourse, allowing me options and topics to respond to and expand on. I need a direction.

    ReplyDelete